Monday, May 11, 2015

Mansur Gavriel Backpack Review – Black/Blu

I had been hunting for the perfect backpack for a very long time and when I saw the Mansur Gavriel Backpack, it was love at first sight.  After having used it for a month, I can say it is not perfect, but I do love a lot. (Please excuse the bad photos; I wanted to get this review up quickly before the next MG launch on Thu, 5/14. If there is interest, I can update with better pictures later.)

I decided to get the large backpack in Black/Blu (absolutely love this color combo) vegetable tanned leather to use as an everyday work bag.  I commute to work via public transportation which involves a lot of standing and walking, so I need to be able to comfortably carry a good amount of stuff on most days.  Having a backpack has been a godsend for my back and shoulders.  On top of being comfortable to carry, I’m vain, so I need my workbag look good.  It would be my most carried bag, so I have to be excited to use it. 

Functionality

The MG Backpack is extremely light and the extra shoulder pieces/pads on the straps make it very comfortable to carry even when it’s stuffed to the brim.  The body of the bag is very spacious and good for carrying a lot of stuff, but because it is just one deep bucket it can be difficult to find stuff.  Be prepared to give yourself extra time to fish around to retrieve what you need from the bag.

shoulder straps


The main thing I was unsure about when deciding to purchase this backpack, and also what I think is main con, is how difficult it is to securely close and get in/out of the bag.  When commuting on public transit, I like to be able to quickly access my transit pass, book, and/or phone while still keeping my bag secure.  With the MG Backpack, I feel you have to decide between security and convenience.  The most secure way to close the backpack is to put the ties through both the loop on the inside of the lid and the outside of the body, but that makes it too time consuming for me to get in/out of the bag while rushing to catch a train.  The stiffness of the leather also makes it harder to close the opening tightly and keep closed.  For now, my compromise it to put valuables (wallet, phone, etc.) towards the bottom of the bag, close the opening as small as possible, tie a knot, and put the ties just thru the loop on the body of the bag.  If I am on a very crowded train, I carry the backpack in front of me and I don’t care if I look weird.

Black/Blu color combo and how I close my backpack

Leather

Another con that I am sure a lot of MG owners and fans worry about is how delicate the smooth leather is.  When I carry the MG Backpack, I find myself having to be very careful with my nails and anything that can scratch my bag.  I shield it from people on crowded trains and even secure it with a seatbelt in the car sometimes (crazy, I know).  After a month of use, my bag is still in very good condition and the leather is not as delicate as one would think (knock on wood).   Yes, it scratches and scuffs easily, but the small marks can be easily treated with a good leather balm/lotion.  With proper care, I’m sure the leather will wear in nicely.  I read the saffiano and tumbled leathers are more scratch resistant (and possibly even the coated calf), but I decided to get a vegetable-tanned one for the color combination, its stiffness, and how it could possibly wear-in nicely in the long run.  I was worried about the backpack losing shape after a while, but it seems the vegetable-tanned leather with the coated interior is very sturdy and will likely hold its shape for a while, if not possibly the life of the bag (which I hope is a very very long time).  The one area of the bag where I am worried about the leather wearing out is where the flap/lid connects to the body of the bag.  In the picture you can see how it is bent a lot.

back of the backpack

Leather Care

Prior to use, I treated the uncoated leather with Apple Brand Garde Rain & Stain Repellent.  Every couple weeks, I clean and treat the leather with Meltonian Leather Balm.  If you like to keep your bags in pristine condition, it will take work to keep the vegetable-tanned leather looking glossy and supple.  I’ve read about people doing a lot more to keep their MG bags looking good.

Size

Out of all the MG designs, I liked the backpacks the most and had a bit of trouble deciding between the regular (a.k.a. large) and the mini.  I am very petite (barely 5-ft 100-lbs), so I knew the mini would look better on me, but it would likely be too small for a workbag.  There was a risk of the larger size looking ridiculous on my small frame, but since it was near impossible to try on MG bags before purchasing, I took a risk (got extremely lucky) and ordered the backpack during the last launch in March on the MG website. 
  
Mansur Gavriel Backpack

This backpack is, borderline, too big for me.  Even with the smallest setting on the shoulder straps, the straps are a little too long for me if I am not wearing a coat or thicker jacket.  Since I usually wear a jacket/coat during my commute, it’s not that big of a deal to me.  You can see the gap between the backpack and my back in the pictures.  Even with the backpack looking slightly oversized on me, I have gotten compliments from people (male and female, and most of them unfamiliar Mansur Gavriel).
Mansur Gavriel Backpack


Conclusion

Despite all the drawbacks, I still love this backpack.  It is such a beautifully designed bag and comfortable to carry, that I am willing to overlook and work with this backpack’s weaknesses.  A $745 backpack seemed pretty expensive to me, but after looking at countless backpacks from high to low end for years, the only backpacks I thought looked comparable to this would cost a whole lot more.  I do admit that I might have been slighted influenced by how exclusive and elusive Mansur Gavriel bags has been, but I cannot deny that this backpack is beautiful and well-made.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review! I was trying to decide between the regular backpack or the mini, and this post convinced me the regular is the way to go. I think it looks great on you!
    Kali
    www.in-spades.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm looking into buying this backpack in the large size. Do you think it would fit a 15'' macbook pro? Do you think the closure is safe enough to have a laptop inside it? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm really curious on whether the backpack fits a laptop. I have a 13" Mac Pro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi how’s your bag holding up? Do u still have it ?

    It’s hard to find review online

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!!! Blackpack

    ReplyDelete